2/27/2009

How does your garden grow?

I love to garden!!! I love to eat fresh produce that is vine ripe!!! I am soooooo excited for this summer!!! We ordered seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. http://www.rareseeds.com/
I won't bore you with the lecture on how dangerous it is to have a monoculture of food in our country. I won't even discuss how much our food is sprayed with toxic chemicals. I won't talk about the time, money and gas/oil it takes to bring food in from other countries.
I just want you to be excited for how diverse, healthy and absolutely beautiful things are going to be this summer and into the fall. Here are some pretty pictures of the plethora of seeds that came today. :)



I know most of you have heard me say that the deeper the color of a food the more nutrient dense it is. A good example is cabbage. Green is great! Purple has more nutrients. So, that was the theme this year in picking what we wanted to grow. We have purple beans, peas, tomatoes!!! We also wanted fun! We have striped tomatoes and beets. We have dinosaur egg cucumbers!!! C is thrilled! We have red carrots and purple cauliflower that turns green when you cook it!!!!
When other kids have lemonade stands my little ones will have a vegetable stand!!!! They are sooooo excited. We all wanted to go out and plant today!!! We have asked the gentleman that owns the property behind us if we can put some vining squashes and such out there. If you think about it, could you pray that he says yes. His name is Mr. Urza. Thanks!!!! That way there will be veggies for all!!!!

13 comments:

Juannaelmi said...

I can't wait to be in our house so we can plant a garden. I won't have much room, but hopefully I can figure out a way to get everything I want in it. I love your selections.

Chris and Kat said...

It is amazing what you can do in small spaces. :)

Amanda said...

Okay, so I just usually buy seeds from a local store (like the Martha Stewart ones at Kmart) or a nursery if I can't find ones I want at the store. Should I be ordering seeds? What's the reason? I'm really serious about this. I've heard about ordering seeds from all these companies a lot and I wonder a)why b)how etc. Thanks, Kat!

Chris and Kat said...

Hey Mandy-
Well,since you asked... :)
a)why?
Heirloom companies offer seeds that are non-hybrid, non-GMO, non-treated and non-patented. I chose mine because they would send me a free catalog that I could look through it(not real scientific, I know).
If you want more info on why those things aren't your best options, I can e-mail you.
My personal why is to try to grow a little healthier version of the foods we already love and expose my family to new varieties of vegetables. I think eating can get really boring. If you think about a tomato...it is usually round, red and juicy (tasteless if it is from a store). The catalog I have lists green, orange, pink, purple, red, white, yellow and striped!!! The green category only had 14 varieties but the red had 89!!!
this really is a whole different post! :)
b)how?
Google heirloom seeds and pick a company.
You may even do a better search and find a local seed company that could help you with your area.
I am just happy if you plant something.

becky said...

I wish we had a garden. I would like to do the raised garden beds but they are spendy to start. But how nice. If for no other reason, I love how much my boys learned by us working and getting produce from my parents garden. And because of it they love and try all veggies and fruits. Not many kids will do that. Besides them being better for you they taste so much better.

Chris and Kat said...

Hey Becky-
You should still do one or two pots. There is alot you can do. :)

Chris and Kat said...

You could grow KALE!!! :)

A Thrifty Mom said...

Just wanted to let you know at you WON MY ATM giveaway.....email your address so I can mail out your tin with cards. So happy you won!
Sarah
A Thrifty Mom

The Dixons said...

I'm excited to see how they actually look in your garden!!

Amannda Ashby said...

I think I have heard of doing a salad in a pot or something like that. Maybe I'll give that a try. I have to say that I am very impressed with those who garden. I myself have grown a bean plant (given to one of my kids from chruch. We did actually get beans), strawberries that never produced fruit before wilting away. It is so hard to put so much attention into something just dies! You know I love to try new things can you provide any advice at how to be a little succseful at not killing plants! I will pray for you, that's the very least I can do to help out someone that is actually following prophets council. Maybe I'll get some points for trying to help your family out!

Michele and Ben said...

Kat,

Love your blog :) Looks great.

I'll check it and put you on my friends list.

Michele

Nathan said...

Kat,
You know that I am concerned about healthy eating and natural production of produce, but I have to ask; How much petroleum was used in the transportation of your seeds?
luv ya.

Chris and Kat said...

YOU SUCK!!!!
I mean, thank you for humbling me. :)
My seeds came from Missouri. They were in a large envelope and came via the United States Postal Service. :)
Now, if they had mailed me all of the grown produce...it would have been a big semi truck. AND I should be able to save my seeds because they are real and not hybridized mutated GMO...
I love you Nate!!1